A HISTORY of LEHIGH COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA
The first school of which there is any record was established in 1712, and the schools at the present time are equal to the schools of the surrounding townships, and they are steadily advancing.
VILLAGES-Friedensville, founded in 1847, contains a store and a church (Lutheran and Reformed.) Population in 1900 was 100. Slatedale is on the Berks and Lehigh R. R, and contains two stores, two hotels, two churches and a post office. Population is 500. Williamstown contains a store, hotel and church. Population in 1900 was 150. Franklin contains a store, hotel and slate mantel factory. Population in 1900 was 400.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 23.8 square miles (61.6 km), of which, 23.7 square miles (61.3 km) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km) of it (0.46%) is water. It is drained by the Lehigh River, which separates it from Northampton County, and Blue Mountain separates it from Carbon County.
Its villages include Best Station, Emerald, Friedens, Lehigh Furnace, Lehigh Gap (also in Northampton County,) Neffs (also in North Whitehall Township,) Newhard, Newside, and Slatedale. Washington Township is served by PA 873, which crosses north-to-south from PA 248 in Lehigh Gap to PA 329 in Neffs and PA 309 in Schnecksville. An important east-to-west thoroughfare is Mountain Road, which proceeds west from PA 873 in Lehigh Gap to PA 309 north of New Tripoli.